Thursday, February 2, 2012

My Quilting Journey

Hi Everyone!

It's been over a month since my last post, life has sure kept me hopping lately! Happily, things are getting back to normal and I'm spending more quality time with my sewing machine!

Inspired by my KC MQG friend Kristin, I signed up for Rachel's (Stitched In Color) online Curves class. Our first assignment is to get to know our classmates. This blog post is all about me... so...here goes!

I learned to sew in 8th grade Home Ec class.  There were no quilters in my family - nor were there any quilts. :-(  Early in my married life, I put my straight line sewing skills to good use making window treatments, dust ruffles, duvet covers, bumper pads, etc. I expanded into leggings and Halloween Costumes after my girls were born.  When my girls were in high school, I was in charge of sewing flags for the Color Guard.  Yep...in 2006, my flags (and my girls) marched in the Rose Parade!  It was during that time that I was introduced to quilting through some friends...after my first quilt I thought "yeah...it's OK but I don't get why people are so over the top about it!".  Then I made another one...and another...and...well, you know where this ends up!

No blog post is complete without some pics...and since I avoid posting pictures of myself, I'll share some of my quilts:

My #1 All Time Favorite - "Spice Market" pattern by FunQuilts

"Hushabye Baby Kayla" - of my own design



RK Challenge Quilt - Front
...and back
Quilting has become a big part of my life. I am active in the Kansas City MQG (talk about an amazing group of talented and inspirational people!) and I enjoy reading quilting blogs and participating in Flickr groups and swaps. Guild sewing days are the best! I am so excited to be in this class - I'm not intimidated by sewing curves, but if I can learn some tips and tricks to minimize frustration, I'm all for it.  Especially since we'll all have a good time doing it!

You can find me on Flickr at MAQuilts1 - I can't wait to see what we all make with our new curvy  skills!

Mary Anne








3 comments:

  1. So nice to meet you! I love your comment about not being intimidated but feeling ready to learn. That's a great perspective! And yeah, the quilting bug does get you when you least expect it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just linked over from the curves class! I thought I'd pop over to my classmates blogs and say hello! =) =) I love that table runner you made - it is so refreshingly colorful! I am becoming a follower so I can see all the fun curvy projects you make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caught your link at curves class. I LOVE your quilts. Spice market is one I am certainly going to put on my 'to do' list

    ReplyDelete