Thursday, September 15, 2011

My First Flickr Swap!

Wow...5 weeks between posts.  That's too long!  I have a lot of catching up to do - but I'll need to spread it out over a few posts...otherwise we'll be here all night.

Many of my KC MQG friends participate in online swaps and bees.  I happened to be on Flickr one day and found a new swap that was just getting started - For the Love of Solids Swap (FLOSS).  I decided to go for it and sign up.  I needed to experience this for myself!


I bought a bunch of Kona Solids on sale at Fabric.Com...and I combined a few with my stash fabrics to come up with this selection:
I posted the palette on Flickr, got a ton of feedback (including from my Swap Partner) and waited for inspiration.  The well was dry...I had NO ideas.  And then...one day, I saw this post on Alex's blog.  I really loved the colors - they are absolutely gorgeous!  HOORAY!  I was Inspired!

Back to the stash, I pulled out my blue and green Moda Crossweaves FQs and a big chunk of Kona Glacier.  I cut various width strips of the crossweaves and foundation pieced them to a chunk of muslin.  I know I'm not the first to say it, but the sheen and texture of the crossweaves are fabulous. Seriously, you must try them for yourself!


I pieced my placemats and used some variegated King Tut for the quilting.  1/4 inch around the seams on the color bars and then straight line vertical quilting - with varying spacing to "go" with the varying widths of the color bars.  I knew from the start that I was going to go with the FunQuilts single-step machine binding method using a matching thread so as not to distract from the main quilting.  Needless to say, by the time I got to the 3rd and 4th placemats, I had the binding technique down pat!


Of course, what use are placemats without coordinating napkins?  I didn't have enough to make four of the same color so I mixed it up using Moda Light Lime and Moda Turquoise.  In retrospect, I think mixing it up turned out to be a very happy accident.  For the back, I used the Moda Light Lime with a strip of pieced colors going through the middle...pretty nice, huh?


I am so happy with how these placemats turned out.  They turned out exactly as I had envisioned - and I am so thrilled.  My Swap Partner was awesome...very active with comments and feedback on Flickr and other blogs.  It made the whole experience a lot of fun and I am very confident that she'll be happy!

Next post I'll share the FLOSS package that I received!  If you have some time, check out the FLOSS Flickr group to see all of the amazing work!



6 comments:

  1. They're gorgeous. I love the colors you chose - they would be perfect in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great placemats! I couldn't find the binding directions on FunQuilts site, though. You should do a post on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty. Lucky partner! I've sworn off swaps (mostly) for a while, but I've had pretty good luck getting good partners for each one I've participated in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the compliments, ladies!

    Sharon, the binding directions are published in the FunQuilts books....and I have all three! I'll plan on a future post with my next binding project...just for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Anne, those are SO awesome! I especially love the way you quilted them. And those cross weaves are beautiful and definitely my favorite thing to sew with these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the awesome swap package; I love it all!

    ReplyDelete