Friday, January 28, 2011

Spice Market has finally arrived!

Happy Friday, Everyone!

I am so proud to share my latest finished quilt with you.  This is MY quilt.  A quilt for ME.  I saw it on the cover of American Patchwork and Quilting in February 2007 when I was a new quilter and I fell in love with it.  The colors, the simple design, everything about it!

So, I dropped the mag into my shopping basket and went home to read it cover to cover.  The next day, I called FunQuilts to order a kit.  This quilt kept getting pushed aside in favor of quilts that had deadlines.  Or, I had hit a snag with it so I did what I always do...set it aside.  Finally, I finished the top....and it sat...waiting for me to get the motivation to quilt it.

Much has happened in my life since starting this quilt...my daughters graduated from High School, I changed jobs (after 14 years!), we moved to the Kansas City area and I bought a quilt frame!



After some early thread-breakage problems, I finally got it going and was able to get this quilted in no time. I am a big fan of machine sewing for my binding, but with this quilt, I went the traditional route.

Now all I need is the label and I'll be all done!  That didn't stop me from taking some pics though.  Here's the finished quilt...


Lessons learned?

1.  When pressing seams open, reduce your stitch length...otherwise your seams will separate!

2.  Use fork pins to match seams.  Sew up to the pin, but not over.  Use your hand-wheel to stitch over the pin (that way if you feel the pin, you can stop immediately and not damage your machine!)

3.  Don't put off doing nice things for yourself!

Two quilts finished in one week?  That's not going to happen again any time soon!

That's all for now!

Mary Anne



2 comments:

  1. That looks super! I remember seeing that quilt in AP&Q. In fact, it's in my binder of patterns that I've pulled from my stash of magazines.

    I've not used (or really heard of) fork pins. Looks like I'll need to go shopping. :)

    I love Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job and a high five for two in one week.

    ReplyDelete